The Wolf Man

MARCH 5, 2007

GENRE: CLASSIC, MONSTER, WEREWOLF
SOURCE: DVD (OWN COLLECTION)

It’s kind of sad that so many movies have ripped off (or in some cases, fine, “paid homage”) to the original Wolf Man film that despite having never seen it, I knew exactly what would happen, and when, every step of the way.

But it’s still worth watching for a few reasons. One being that Larry a.k.a. the Wolf Man (he is hilariously credited only as "The Wolf Man", so I guess his human form of Larry is otherwise not worth noting) has an extremely bizarre manner of hitting on the love interest. After spying on her with a telescope, he goes to the store she works at and asks to buy the earrings he saw on her dresser? She is flattered. I’d call the cops, but I’d also wonder why a long dead horror icon was spying on me. And why I had earrings.

It’s also a rare film, as far as you know, that features three of Universal’s monster actors. In addition to Chaney, Claude Rains (aka the Invisible Man) plays the father of Larry, I mean, The Wolf Man, and Bela Lugosi (Dracula), plays a guy named Bela who gives Chaney the werewolf curse. I guess Karloff was too busy marrying someone to stop by.

Like last week’s Bride of Frankenstein, this DVD was released in 2004 to tie into the release of Van Helsing, a colossal piece of garbage that I can’t wait to buy on HD DVD because it will look/sound amazing. It is my belief that with a proper home theater, you indeed CAN polish a turd.

What say you?

1 comment:

  1. This is the movie that made me love horror movies. I saw it for the first time when I was about 7 or 8 years old, and haven't looked back. Every time I watch it I love it more. Part of it is nostalgia, I know, but part of it is also that it's just a wonderful movie.

    I could go on and on about it (and will, given the chance), but you're right to single out Chaney Jr.'s performance here--he's so physically imposing in this role and has such an odd childlike way of going about things, simultaneously innocent and threatening--even before he gets bit by Bela. Take for instance the scene where he's walking Evelyn Ankers through the foggy woods--they lean against a tree, and he's totally all up in her personal space, and she looks really uncomfortable...but Larry isn't trying to be threatening, he just likes her and is being himself. Great stuff.

    I don't Lon Jr. was a great actor (like Karloff or Lugosi, for instance), but if he got a pitch that was in his strike zone, he could totally take it out of the yard. Here he's really hitting on all cylinders with the "gentle human/savage beast" "superego/id" stuff. And the tragedy when he realizes that despite his not wanting to hurt anyone, he's got to kill every time the moon is full--just great.

    Okay, I'll quit now. Let's meet for a beer and I'll tell you a hundred more ways this movie is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget

Google